Greater Seattle Choral Consortium News
Announcing the 2017 Greater Seattle Choral Consortium Youth Choral Education Fund
Supporting quality choral experiences for children and youth
Three awards (up to $750 each) are available, to be used during 2018.
Preference will be given to choral directors, teachers, and youth leaders who:
- Work with students, families, and institutions with the greatest socio-economic challenges
- Have demonstrated high quality music teaching/leadership
- Work with young people who currently have no or limited access to a choral experience
- Work with elementary or middle school aged singers
- Work in the Puget Sound region
Choral directors, teachers, and youth leaders, please submit the following 5 items by Sunday, October 1, 2017:
- A resume showing your music teaching/leading/conducting experience and degree received
- A one-page proposal letter, describing your singers, teaching situation, and the need for funding
- A short letter of recommendation (can be an email) from an administrator, colleague, or parent regarding the quality of your work with young people
- A proposed budget (itemize how you will spend the money—choral sheet music, accompanist for rehearsals and/or concerts, teacher stipend, venue rental, etc.)
- A sample 3-song program (titles, composers, arrangers) to show choral music you have used with students or that you would like to have your students sing
In December of 2018, award recipients will submit: a written summary of how the award funds were spent; a printed concert program (if used); and a photo or short recording (audio/video) of the choir(s) who benefited from the award funds.
All materials are due by Sunday, October 1, 2017 by email to Greater Seattle Choral Consortium YCEF committee, email@example.com. Please email the committee with questions or for more information.
GSCC Youth Choral Education Fund award recipients will be notified on November 1, 2017, and the monies will be awarded in December 2017. The GSCC Youth Choral Education awards are made possible, in part, by the member choirs of the Greater Seattle Choral Consortium.
Announcing our 2016–2017 Youth Choral Education Fund Winners
The Greater Seattle Choral Consortium is happy to announce the recipients of the 2016–2017 Youth Choral Education Fund.
- Rainier Youth Chorus will be developing a section of their “Vocina” choir at Kent Elementary, under Karen Martin. The funds from GSCC will be used to provide registration and uniform funds for 9 singers who would otherwise be unable to participate financially.
- Lochburn Middle School, under Sarah Edwards, will be using their grant to purchase choral music, provide uniforms, and fund field trips for its choirs. The school has a high population of students who qualify for free/reduced lunch, and a wonderfully diverse student body.
- The choral program at Baker Middle School, under David Ferguson, will be augmenting their choral library, affording an accompanist, and inviting clinicians to work with its choirs.
The GSCC board is thrilled to infuse these worthy programs with funds to enhance their students’ experience of choir.